JOB OPPORTUNITY:Trauma Therapist – Stopping the Violence Program
Competition #116-18 | Download job posting PDF
DO YOU WANT A MEANINGFUL CAREER, HELPING OTHERS? JOIN US!
ABOUT FAMILY SERVICES OF GREATER VANCOUVER (FSGV)
Founded in 1928 and celebrating its 90th year, FSGV is a charitable organization with nearly 100 social services programs and 500 employees across Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
FSGV commands respect in the community while envisioning and impacting brighter futures for the people we serve. We provide a supportive workplace for our staff and professional, effective services for our clients, including counselling, therapy, advocacy, education, employment support and community services.
YOUR KEY CONTRIBUTIONS
- Counselling Support
- Provides counselling services to women who have experienced violence in relationships and/or childhood sexual abuse.
- Plans treatment interventions and co-creates a service plan with client, in accordance with the Agency’s accreditation standards and department/program policies.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of services delivered to the client and the client experience, always with a view to continuous quality improvement and improved access.
- Referrals and Community Liaising
- Refers client to appropriate resources when needed, such as outside counseling resources, job training, legal aid, medical services, as well as local, provincial and community-based resources for clients.
- Advocates with other services as appropriate and needed.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of information and advances in the field through literature, research, networking, workshops and other forms of professional development and practice.
- Program Administration
- Maintains metrics and administrative records and practices as needed by agency and program, including file reviews, record-keeping, data collection and submission of statistics.
- Participates in individual and team supervision as required and participates in continuous quality improvement and learning activities. Represents the Agency in internal and external committees as needed.
WHAT YOU BRING
Education, Training, Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Counselling or Clinical Psychology
- Current registration with a regulatory body in BC: RCC or RSW
- Minimum of three years related work experience providing counselling for individuals, couples, families.
- Additional education/training in Somatic Therapies, EMDR and/or other models of current best practices in the theory/treatment of trauma.
Job Specific Experience and Knowledge:
Minimum 3-5 years experience working in a counseling capacity with women who have experienced violence in relationships, sexual abuse and/or childhood abuse. Must include the following knowledge and expertise:
- High degree of knowledge in the areas of sexual abuse, domestic violence, historical child abuse and trauma.
- Advanced knowledge of, and ability to address themes of vicarious trauma
- Proficiency in assessment and individual counseling from a feminist perspective
- Experience working with the LGBTQ2S community
- Proficiency in advocacy work
- Collaborative Communication, including teamwork & cooperation, interpersonal communication, diversity and cultural agility
- Personal Effectiveness, including integrity and ethical behavior, personal resilience, adaptability/flexibility, commitment to learning
- Personal Leadership, including influence, initiative, judgment and decision making, creativity and innovation
- Commitment to Excellence, including results focus, therapeutic, client-centered service, planning and organizing, professional expertise and technological proficiency
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of clinical psychotherapy models and techniques, including developmental and attachment theory
- Familiarity with addiction and recovery theories and treatment
- Familiarity with the legal system/legislation pertaining to child protection, the duty to warn criteria and the Personal Information Protection Act
- Excellent intake, crisis intervention and assessment skills and the ability to develop flexible treatment plans that meet the unique individual needs of the client
- Computer skills in a Windows/PC environment, including word processing, email and internet and client data management system
- Ability to provide therapeutic interventions for clients including psycho-education, affect management, self-regulation, stress management and strategies to help manage depression and anxiety
- Ability to integrate knowledge of therapeutic models and techniques into practice, including a strong theoretical framework
- Understanding of cross-cultural and equity issues
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Knowledge of community resources
- Successful completion of criminal record check
- Position may be needed to work evenings
- Ability to meet caseload expectations
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
FSGV provides a comprehensive compensation package, with pension and generous extended health benefits for our regular staff.
FSGV supports career development and training for staff to reach their potential, offering mentorship and professional advancement in a supportive environment. We recognize the importance of work-life balance, wellness and a safe, inclusive and welcoming workplace that values diversity and respect for all.
Work Hours: 24 hours per week, a three-day position (Wed, Thu, Fri),
Duration: 8-month term position. December 1, 2018 – July 31, 2019
Salary: $1,276.32 bi-weekly (GS10, Step 1)
Location: Work in the culturally vibrant Vancouver neighbourhood of Commercial Drive & East Broadway
HOW TO APPLY
If this describes you, please send us your resume and cover letter (indicating the competition number #116-18 in email subject line). In your cover letter, please outline your interest and relevant experience for this role, and tell us where you heard about this opportunity.
FSGV is an equal opportunity employer. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org for follow-up.
Send your application to: Lillian Chen, Manager, Clinical Services, at email@example.com
Post End Date: This position will remain open until it is successfully filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Thank you for your interest.
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all genders expressions and identities, sexual orientations, visible minorities, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities