JOB OPPORTUNITY: Community Kitchen Facilitator – New Westminster
Competition #123-18 | Download job posting PDF
DO YOU WANT A MEANINGFUL CAREER, HELPING OTHERS? JOIN US!
ABOUT FAMILY SERVICES OF GREATER VANCOUVER (FSGV)
Founded in 1928 and celebrating its 90th year, FSGV is a charitable organization with nearly 100 social services programs and 500 employees across Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
FSGV commands respect in the community while envisioning and impacting brighter futures for the people we serve. We provide a supportive workplace for our staff and professional, effective services for our clients, including counselling, therapy, advocacy, education, employment support and community services.
HERE’S WHAT WE CAN DO TOGETHER
The Community Kitchen Facilitator is responsible for the facilitation of community kitchen (cooking together) sessions for immigrant women with preschool children, low income families, vulnerable seniors and other low asset individuals and families experiencing challenges related to food security and/or isolation.
YOUR KEY CONTRIBUTIONS
Facilitation of Community Kitchen Sessions
- Facilitate a variety of Community Kitchen programs for diverse populations by creating friendly, safe and non-judgmental environments that promote connections amongst members and community inclusion
- Provide in-class instruction for participants on every aspect of meal planning and cooking process, including menu planning, budgeting, kitchen set up, food preparation, cooking methods.
- Plan and develop healthy and economical menus, and purchase food, supplies
- Engage in outreach and promotion activities in community to maximize participant attendance.
- Organize logistics of kitchen programs by securing session dates and times, childcare staff, guest speakers, fieldtrips and maintaining regular contact with participants
- Encourage participant engagement through various leadership opportunities, provision of recipe packages and educational materials, sharing information about available community resources, mentorship and coaching
- Participate in relevant community events
· Collaborative Communication
· Personal Effectiveness
· Personal Leadership
· Commitment to Excellence
WHAT YOU BRING
Education / Experience
- Post secondary education in Nutrition- Health-Cooking or appropriate work experience
- Current Food Safe certification
- Community Kitchen facilitator training or extensive equivalent experience
- Successful completion of criminal record check
Job Specific Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of healthy eating practices and nutrition, menu planning, and effective budgeting practices.
- Understanding the purpose of program evaluation and reporting
- knowledge of New West community resources
- Excellent interpersonal and group facilitation skills and ability to work with diverse groups of people with a community development focus
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Current First Aid
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
FSGV provides a comprehensive compensation package, with pension and generous extended health benefits for our regular staff.
FSGV supports career development and training for staff to reach their potential, offering mentorship and professional advancement in a supportive environment. We recognize the importance of work-life balance, wellness and a safe, inclusive and welcoming workplace that values diversity and respect for all.
Work Hours: casual – on call (approximately 56 hours/7 cooking sessions)
Salary : GS7S1 $21.61
Location :New Westminster (and possibly Richmond as well in the future)
Start Date: January 2019.
(56 hours from January – March 2019) with a possibility of continuing
HOW TO APPLY
If this describes you, please send us your resume and cover letter (indicating the competition number 123#-18 in email subject line). In your cover letter, please outline your interest and relevant experience for this role, and tell us where you heard about this opportunity.
FSGV is an equal opportunity employer. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email your contact information to email@example.com for follow-up.
Send your application to: Minoo Javadi, Supervisor of Community Kitchens at firstname.lastname@example.org
Post End Date: November 30, 2018
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Thank you for your interest.
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all gender expressions and identities, sexual orientations, visible minorities, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities.