JOB OPPORTUNITY: Family Counsellor (Intensive Parenting)
Competition #132-18 | Download job posting PDF
ABOUT FAMILY SERVICES OF GREATER VANCOUVER (FSGV)
Founded in 1928 and celebrating its 90th year, FSGV is a charitable organization with nearly 100 social services programs and 500 employees across Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
FSGV commands respect in the community while envisioning and impacting brighter futures for the people we serve. We provide a supportive workplace for our staff and professional, effective services for our clients, including counselling, therapy, advocacy, education, employment support and community services.
HERE’S WHAT WE CAN DO TOGETHER
Our Family Preservation & Reunification Program works with families to prevent out-of-home placement or to reunite children with their families. We help families focus on addressing challenges in family life and support parents to develop strategies to cope with their challenges and be the best parent they can be, while keeping the physical, emotional, and developmental needs of their children at the forefront
The Family Counselor provides immediate, intensive short-term crisis intervention to improve family functioning and to promote safety for families referred by the MCFD. This position provides in home family focused hands on parental coaching, life skills education and counselling. The Family Counsellor will work with each family five to ten hours a week either in the home or in the community. The caseload will be two to three families at a time.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Superior crisis intervention skills
- Masters degree in social work or clinical counselling, and
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
- Class Five Driver’s License and personal vehicle
- Ability to work early mornings and evenings when necessary
- Knowledge of child welfare policies and practices
- Working knowledge of different parenting strategies and the ability to share these strategies with families
- In-depth knowledge of child development and child abuse dynamics
- An understanding of integrated case management/wrap around service delivery
- An understanding of child and adolescent stages of development
- Ability to work with families that may present multiple service needs related to poverty, addictions, violence, child abuse or neglect, and mental health issues
- Knowledge of Computer operating systems, ie. Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Publisher
YOUR KEY CONTRIBUTIONS
- Support families with immediate crisis and/or safety concerns
- Hands on parenting, mentoring and coaching with parents in home or community where problems occur
- Enhance coping and life skills
- Work in collaboration with MCFD Social Worker, Crisis Support Worker, Home Support Worker
- Assess ongoing needs and supports for families after 4 weeks of service
WHY WORK HERE?
• Friendly work environment
• Flexible working hours
• Support the local community
• Rewarding experience
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
FSGV supports career development and training for staff to reach their potential, offering mentorship and professional advancement in a supportive environment. We recognize the importance of work-life balance, wellness and a safe, inclusive and welcoming workplace that values diversity and respect for all.
Work Hours: This is a temporary 35 hours per week position, from January 1 to March 31, 2019, with a flexible Monday to Friday schedule.
Salary: FP1 Step 1 $1,932.00 bi-weekly
Location: Work at the Family Preservation and Reunification Program in the culturally vibrant Vancouver neighbourhood of 4103 Fraser Street
HOW TO APPLY
If this describes you, please send us your resume and cover letter (indicating the competition number 132-18 in email subject line). In your cover letter, please outline your interest and relevant experience for this role, and tell us where you heard about this opportunity.
**if you are an internal candidate, please indicate “INTERNAL” in the subject line of the email**
FSGV is an equal opportunity employer. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email your contact information to email@example.com for follow-up.
Send your application to: Jim Staton, Manager of Clinical Operations – firstname.lastname@example.org
Post End Date: This will remain open until the position is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Thank you for your interest.
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all genders expressions and identities, sexual orientations, visible minorities, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities.