JOB OPPORTUNITY: Hourly Counsellor (Counselling Program)
Competition #3-19 | Download job posting PDF
ABOUT FAMILY SERVICES OF GREATER VANCOUVER (FSGV)
Founded in 1928 and celebrating its 90th year, FSGV is a charitable organization with nearly 100 social services programs and 500 employees across Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
FSGV commands respect in the community while envisioning and impacting brighter futures for the people we serve. We provide a supportive workplace for our staff and professional, effective services for our clients, including counselling, therapy, advocacy, education, employment support and community services.
HERE’S WHAT WE CAN DO TOGETHER
The hourly Counsellor is responsible for providing counselling to adults, children, youth and families in the Counselling Program (including CVAP & WorkBC clients)
WHAT YOU BRING
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Counselling Psychology or related field
- Must be registered with a professional body in the province of BC (RCC or MSW)
- Training in trauma-informed therapy (EMDR, Somatic approaches an asset)
Experience: Minimum of three to five years of related work experience providing counselling for individuals, couples, families and/or children. Experience working with individuals who have been impacted by trauma.
- Knowledge of clinical psychotherapy models and techniques, for individuals, couples and families, including developmental and attachment theory
- Knowledge of trauma theory including stage one trauma treatment and trauma recovery
- Awareness of transference and counter-transference issues, vicarious trauma and traumatic transference
- Familiarity with the legal system/legislation pertaining to child protection, the duty to warn criteria and the Personal Information Protection Act
- Knowledge of community resources available for clients.
- Commitment to ongoing personal and professional development
- Excellent intake, crisis intervention and assessment skills and the ability to develop flexible treatment plans that meet the unique individual needs of the client
- Play/art and family therapy skills and interventions, including positive parenting practices
- Provide cognitive-behavioral strategies for clients including psycho-education, affect management, self-regulation, stress management and strategies to help manage depression and anxiety
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills and clear record keeping skills
- Computer skills in a Windows/PC environment, including word processing, email, internet, and client data management system.
- Provide trauma-informed approaches to supporting individuals and families
- Integrate knowledge of therapeutic models and techniques into practice
- Understand and engage with clients from a wide variety of socioeconomic, educational and ethno-cultural backgrounds
- Develop and maintain effective collegial relationships
- Ability to critically analyze and creatively resolve systems issues
- Maintain personal and professional integrity and boundaries and follow best practices and ethical principles
- Develop competence and construct practice that acknowledges diversity
- Able to work under pressure and to manage crises
- Ability to maintain a caseload of 5 clients per 7 hour workday
- Able to use initiative, function independently and contribute as part of a clinical team
- This position is hourly – up to 2 days per week
- Successful completion of criminal record check is a condition of employment
- Some evening work required.
- Office location: 250-7000 Minoru Blvd, Richmond, BC
YOUR KEY CONTRIBUTIONS
- Provide counselling to individuals, couples, and/or families and children who come through the Counselling Program central intake (including CVAP & WorkBC referrals).
- Plan treatment interventions and negotiate a treatment contract with client, according to standards of accreditation and agency standards and policies.
- Makes referrals to other resources where appropriate and liaise with other programs or resources around case management where necessary.
- Seek appropriate consultation as necessary for clinical work and operate according to agency policies and legal statutes.
- Administrative duties including:
- Negotiating and signing of fee contract with client;
- Preparation of invoices for therapy sessions;
- Overseeing that clients payments are up to date;
- Monitoring any changes in clients’ financial status and adjusting fees accordingly;
- Maintain client files according to agency and accreditation standards;
- Take part in case reviews for Agency Quality Assurance Program;
- Participate in regular individual supervision.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of information and advances in the field of individual, couples and family therapy, through literature, research, networking, workshops, and conferences
WHY WORK HERE?
• Friendly work environment
• Flexible working hours
• Support the local community
• Rewarding experience
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
FSGV provides a comprehensive compensation package, with pension and generous extended health benefits for our regular staff.
FSGV supports career development and training for staff to reach their potential, offering mentorship and professional advancement in a supportive environment. We recognize the importance of work-life balance, wellness and a safe, inclusive and welcoming workplace that values diversity and respect for all.
Work Hours: 1-2 days per week (approximately 5-10 hours)
Salary: SESSL 2 $33.30 per hour
Start Date: Week of February 4, 2019 Closing Date: When Filled
HOW TO APPLY
If this describes you, please send us your resume and cover letter providing relevant details (indicating the competition number # 3-19 in email subject line). Tell us where you heard of this opportunity, outlining your interest and demonstrating your relevant experience for this role in your cover letter.
FSGV is an equal opportunity employer. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org for follow-up.
Send your application to: Jamie Smulders, Clinical Services Manager, at email@example.com
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews and will receive a complete Job Description. Thank you for your interest in working with our great team.
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all gender expressions and identities, sexual orientations, visible minorities, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities.