JOB OPPORTUNITY: Project Parent Family Counsellor
Competition #48-18 | Download job posting PDF
ABOUT FAMILY SERVICES OF GREATER VANCOUVER (FSGV)
Founded in 1928 and celebrating its 90th year, FSGV is a charitable organization with nearly 100 social services programs and 500 employees across Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
FSGV commands respect in the community while envisioning and impacting brighter futures for the people we serve. We provide a supportive workplace for our staff and professional, effective services for our clients, including counselling, therapy, advocacy, education, employment support and community services.
HERE’S WHAT WE CAN DO TOGETHER
Provide counselling, parent-education and support to families and children (0- 12 years) referred by MCFD and to provide linkage between the family, the community, MCFD and other professional services.
This is a 35 hours a week position. This position reports to the Program Manager of Project Parent Burnaby/New Westminster. The position is located at FSGV’s New Westminster office. Persons with a second language (i.e. Spanish, Farsi/Dari, Cantonese, Mandarin, Punjabi etc.) are encouraged to apply.
YOUR KEY CONTRIBUTIONS
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Family Counsellor is responsible for:
Conduct assessments of the needs, dynamics and functioning of families.
- Develop goals with the family, and redevelop those goals as necessary.
- Develop and implement a counselling service, support and intervention plan in collaboration with the family and MCFD.
- Provide service in the family home or in the community as appropriate.
- Arrange integrated case meetings and participate in meetings in collaboration with the family.
- Connect children and parents to the appropriate supports and services.
- Advocate for the child and/or family, particularly in regard to housing, health, basic needs or schooling.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of services delivered to the child or family.
- Observes interaction between parent and child in their home environment during key times of the day, e.g.: mornings, mealtimes, bedtime. Coaches, models and educates using various therapeutic parenting models and sycho education.
- Provides information on child development, nutrition, safety, discipline, and home management.
- Also addresses concrete needs dependant on family needs, as required.
Consultation, Referral and Education
- Liaise as appropriate with other agencies/professionals for purposes of consultation,
referral and advocacy, in order to ensure that clients receive comprehensive service.
- Testifies in court when required.
- Maintain case records as part of client files, including a log of client sessions; the focus
of each session; the approach/intervention utilized; the outcome of the session; and any
plans as a result of the session.
- Maintain accurate records of assessments, contacts, referrals and report to MCFD
as required by contract.
- Maintain up-to-date case files in the agency information management system.
- Maintain other elements of client files as necessary to the provision of services and
- Complete assessment and progress and closing reports for MCFD.
- Complete data collection for agency programs and agency accreditation and
- Ensure that agency and accreditation standards are met in delivering services
and maintaining records.
- Remain up-to-date on: best practices for family preservation and reunification, child
welfare, parenting and counselling.
- Network with colleagues and other professionals in the field.
- Complete administrative requirements i.e. timesheets.
- Attend staff/team meetings as required, and contribute to the development of knowledge and best practice in the team.
- Participate in and be prepared for clinical supervision.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Knowledge of child welfare policies and procedures.
- An understanding of integrated case management/wrap around services delivery.
- Working knowledge of different parenting strategies and the ability to share these
strategies with families.
- In-depth knowledge of child abuse dynamics.
- Excellent crisis intervention skills
- Excellent verbal (including telephone and in-person) and written communication skills (including the ability to write assessment reports).
- Ability to work with families who may present with multiple service needs related to poverty, addictions, violence, child abuse or neglect, attachment and mental health issues who are from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Competence in a window PC environment including MS WORD and EXCEL.
Education/ Training / Experience
- Family counsellors will have a minimum of a Masters degree in a social science (e.g. MSW/MA/MEd in counselling psychology) and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working with children ages 0 – 12 years
- Vehicle required
- Ability to work evenings
- Ability to pass a criminal record check.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
FSGV offers purposeful careers, serving the most vulnerable members of our community. This role offers you the opportunity to help parents nurture and strengthen their families, influence the growth of a new team, nurture cooperative relationships and make a positive impact in our community.
FSGV provides a comprehensive compensation package, with pension and generous extended health benefits for our regular staff.
FSGV supports career development and training for staff to reach their potential, and offer mentorship and professional advancement in a supportive environment. We recognize the importance of work-life balance, wellness and a safe, inclusive and welcoming workplace that values diversity and respect for all.
Work Hours: 35 Hours per Week (Tuesday to Friday)
Salary: $1,842.92 bi-weekly (GS10, Step 1), with a competitive benefits package and pension
Location: Work in the culturally vibrant Greater Vancouver Neighbourhood of Burnaby and New Westminster
HOW TO APPLY
If this describes you, please send us your resume and cover letter (indicating the competition number 48-18 in email subject line). Please tell us where you heard of this opportunity, outlining your interest and demonstrating your relevant experience for this role in your cover letter.
If you are an internal candidate, please indicate “INTERNAL” in the subject line of the email.
Send your application to: Shabniz Kurji, Program Manager, email@example.com
Post End Date: This position will remain posted until the role is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Thank you for your interest.
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all genders expressions and identities, sexual orientations, visible minorities, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities.