COLT YOUNG PARENT PROGRAM
To request service, call 604-723-9742 or email us.
The Colt Young Parent Program in Richmond keeps pregnant teens and adolescent parents in school and helps them to overcome the barriers that can keep them from finishing school and finding work. These barriers include a lack of daycare for their children, economic difficulties, transportation, as well as relationship and personal issues.
The educational experiences offered through the program help pregnant teens and adolescent parents develop as individuals, parents, students, employees and citizens. While participating in the program, their children are provided with quality daycare on campus.
The program offers:
- Childcare facility on Richmond Secondary School grounds
- Parent education and counselling
- Academic courses available on a trimester basis
- A teacher dedicated to teen parents
What pregnant teens and young parents can expect:
- Encouragement and assistance in completing an education program
- Parenting skills
- Life skills
- Strong sense of self, improved self esteem
- Tools for exploring career and work opportunities
- Understanding of post-secondary education options
Program staff consists of professional social worker/family counsellor for the parents, as well as Certified Early Childhood Educators (ECE) for the children.
There are no fees for the Colt Young Parent Program. Funding is provided by the Ministry of Children and Family Development, Ministry of Economic Security and Social Development, and the Richmond School District No. 38.