VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Child Minding – Health Connections
ABOUT FAMILY SERVICES OF GREATER VANCOUVER (FSGV)
Founded in 1928 and celebrating its 90th year, FSGV is a charitable organization with nearly 100 social services programs and 500 employees across Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. We provide effective services for our clients, including counselling, therapy, advocacy, education, employment support and community services. The PRIYD program is a community access program focusing on functional life skills and community integration for children and youth with special needs.
HERE’S WHAT WE CAN DO TOGETHER
We are in need of volunteer child minders to help look after infants from 1 month to 30 months of age and occasionally siblings while the mother attends our Healthy Connections Program
Mother’s individual appointment lasts approximately 60 to 90 minutes. Typically, we schedule up to 4 mothers per day, Monday – Wednesday.. On Friday, child minders are needed from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for the Healthy Connections Group.
WHAT YOU BRING
- An interest in babies and children as well as experience caring for babies and children.
- A calm demeanor, reliable, and ability to establish safety and connection with babies and children,
- Ability to lift and carry babies
- Good problem solving skills and an awareness of intersecting strengths and challenges that exist for children & families.
- RCMP criminal record check required at no cost to the volunteer.
YOUR KEY CONTRIBUTIONS
- Supporting clients to participate engaged in the activities
- Facilitating social interactions, setting boundaries and providing encouragement.
- Utilizing modeling to assist clients through transitions and during activities
- Developing positive and supportive relationships with clients, families and group leaders
- Acting in accordance with the policies and procedures of the program (i.e. client confidentiality, safety, maintaining professional boundaries)
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
Work Hours: Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. OR Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. 2- 6 hours per week
Length of Commitment: Open ended – however, babies and children need continuity, and it is to their benefit to be cared for by someone who is familiar to them. For this reason we ask for a minimum 6 month commitment to the program. The Healthy Connections group will span 6- 8 weeks and will have spaces between sequences.
Location: Work in the culturally vibrant Vancouver neighbourhood of Commercial Drive & East Broadway
Position Start Date: January 2019
HOW TO APPLY
If this describes you, please send us your resume and cover letter outlining your interest and demonstrating your relevant experience for this role in your cover letter.
Send your application to: Kim Fleming, Program Coordinator & Therapist, Healthy Connections at email@example.com
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all genders and sexual orientations, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities.