VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Media Arts Volunteer – Directions
ABOUT DIRECTIONS YOUTH SERVICES
Directions Youth Services provides 24/7 support to at-risk, homeless, and street-involved youth under 25. Vancouver’s most vulnerable youth can connect with supports, get counselling for trauma, mental health or substance issues, and transition to more permanent housing. Directions runs several facilities and programs for youth throughout Vancouver.
Directions is a division of Family Services of Greater Vancouver (FSGV), which for 90 years has provided trauma counselling and essential resources for children, families and individuals facing all kinds of life’s challenges.
VOLUNTEER POSITION DESCRIPTION
We’re looking for a skilled volunteer who is passionate about empowering youth through media arts. If you have experience in media arts, and wish to make a meaningful difference in the lives of youth, this position is for you.
The volunteer will provide support to the Media Arts Facilitator and assist in mentorship and guidance in media arts to ‘street involved’ youth from the Downtown South/Granville Street area.
- Assist in facilitation of media room operations.
- Assist youth in music and media arts.
- Maintain media room equipment and inventories.
- Maintain relevant documentation and time sheets.
- Adhere to all program and agency policies, procedures and safety standards; including but not limited to confidentiality policy. Also to report concerns to Directions staff in a timely manner; including legally required, reporting concerns: risk of harm to self or others and child protection concerns
- Model pro-social behavior for program participants.
- Attend training and media/open house events as requested/appropriate.
- Maintaining a culture of ‘People helping people help themselves’.
- Experience working with at-risk, street entrenched and homeless youth is considered an asset.
- Relevant arts and media skills.
- Knowledge of adolescent development; alcohol and drug abuse issues; sexually exploited youth and “street involved” activities.
- Applicants with personal experience with addiction or street involvement require a minimum of two years clean/sober and away from services.
- If your application is successful, a Criminal Record Check must be completed (at no cost to you).
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Directions Youth Services Centre, 1138 Burrard Street Vancouver.
Hours: This is volunteer position with negotiable hours on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday between 2pm and 8pm.
WHAT WE OFFER
The opportunity to give back to your community and gain excellent experience in a supportive environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please contact Colin Ford at email@example.com.
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all genders and sexual orientations, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities.