For over 35 years, Family Services has delivered Victim Services to women and children who have experienced domestic violence, sexual violence, and human trafficking.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Family Services has 18 Victim Support Workers embedded with various units of the New Westminster Police Department, the Vancouver Police Department, and in partnership with the RCMP in Richmond, Burnaby and at UBC.
Victim Support Workers offer trauma-informed support; safety planning; referral to resources; support navigating the criminal justice system; advocacy with various Ministries; and community education about sexual assault, human trafficking, and domestic and gender-based violence.
Victim Services is accessible to anyone in need, whether or not they have reported the crime to the police. There are no fees to access any of our Victim Services, which are funded by the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General, the Ministry of Children and Family Development, Vancouver Coastal Health, and our donors’ support.
PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
- Vancouver Police Department: Domestic Violence Unit, Counter Exploitation Unit, Provincial Protective Measures Unit, Elder Abuse Unit
- New Westminster Police Department: Domestic Violence Response Team, Elder Abuse Unit, Special Investigations Unit
- Burnaby/New Westminster Community-Based Victims Services: Domestic Violence Response Program, Domestic Violence Response Unit
- Richmond Community-Based Victims Services: Family Violence Unit, Community-Based Victim Services
- UBC RCMP: Police-Based Victims Services
“Thank you so much for what you have done for our daughter. Your care and understanding and support have made this whole experience more bearable. What you do is so, so important.”