FAMILY SERVICES COUNSELLING
At Family Services we offer professional, compassionate counselling to individuals, couples, youth, children, and families. All our counsellors have master’s degrees and above, and can offer a range of perspectives and therapeutic approaches to meet your unique needs and goals.
We are conveniently located in Vancouver, Richmond, and New Westminster.
“My counsellor was so calm and compassionate. Her education and ability to keep me stable during my therapy has been the greatest experience.” — C., counselling client
No matter how big or small your issues may feel, counselling can help everyone explore options, find solutions, develop coping strategies, identify strengths, and experience healing, resiliency and self-empowerment.
We are here to help with a range of issues, including but not limited to:
- Abuse and trauma
- Family of origin issues
- Disordered eating
- Parenting and family issues (including infertility, postpartum depression, new parents, parent-child conflict, caring for aging parents)
- Relationship issues (including communication, intercultural issues, separation and divorce, infidelity, sexuality)
- Anger management
- Death, grief and loss
- Health issues
- Social isolation and loneliness
- LGBTQ+ issues
How We Work
Counselling is a collaborative relationship between you and your counsellor that takes place in a safe, confidential, and supportive space where you are free to share openly, express your feelings, and be fully supported.
We work to help address your immediate mental health challenges in the short term, while helping you build healthy coping skills, self-awareness, and resilience for the long term.
Our counsellors follow a collaborative model that is client-centered and respectful. Your counsellor stands as a grounded witness to your individual process, offering potential strategies and opportunities for reflection.
All FSGV counsellors have graduate degrees (Masters and above) in clinical social work and counselling psychology. We strive for professional excellence and stay on top of best practices and the latest developments in the field of individual and family therapy. Regular supervision is part of our practice. Your confidentiality will be strictly maintained.
$120 for one-person, 50-minute session
$125 for family/couples, 50-minute session
When funding is available, we offer counselling at lower rates, on a sliding scale based on household income. Our Client Care Coordinator can provide you with more information.
Book An Appointment
To book an appointment, please email or call our Client Care Coordinator:
Hours and Locations
Counselling hours vary from location to location. Appointments are offered during regular business hours, and on evenings and weekends based on counsellor availability. Administration hours are from 9:00 to 5:00.
All our locations are fully accessible.
4th Floor, 1638 E Broadway, Vancouver, BC
3rd Floor, 321 – 6th Ave, New Westminster, BC
3rd Floor, 7000 Minoru Blvd, Richmond, BC
Specialized Counselling and Trauma Services
Family Services also offers ongoing, specialized trauma counselling and support programs for women, children and youth who have experienced incest, trauma, sexual abuse, and family violence.
- Vital Connections – Subsidized counselling support for adults over age 50. (New Westminster)
- Stopping The Violence – Support for women who experienced childhood sexual and/or physical abuse, and women who experienced adult sexual assault. (Vancouver, Richmond, New Westminster)
- Trauma and Sexual Abuse Centre – Support for children and youth under 19 who have experienced sexual abuse and their non-offending family members (Richmond)
- Sexual Abuse Intervention Program – Support for children and youth under 19 (crisis intervention and long-term therapy) for children and youth who have experienced sexual abuse, trauma, or exploitation, as well as their non-offending family members. (Vancouver)
- Child and Family Trauma Services – Support for children and youth and their parents who have experienced physical abuse, sexual abuse and other types of trauma (i.e. car accidents). (Richmond)
- Healthy Connections: You and Your Baby – Support to help pregnant women work through trauma-related issues that they feel might interfere with their ability to parent their children. This prenatal program is designed to begin as early in the pregnancy as possible and to continue after birth for up to three years. (Vancouver)
Call 604-874-2938 x 4162 or email email@example.com
- Healthy Connections: You and Your Baby Support Group – Art therapy support group for women in the Healthy Connections program.
- PEACE Trauma Counselling (Vancouver) – Support for children and youth age 3 – 18 who have experienced family violence.
- Family Development/Response Counselling and Services to Strengthen Families – Sliding scale-fee family counselling (New Westminster).
- Residential Historical Abuse Program – Counselling for residential school survivors referred by Vancouver Coastal Health. (Vancouver, Richmond, New Westminster)
- Crime Victim Assistance Program – Counselling for victims of crime referred by police and RCMP victim services workers. (Vancouver, Richmond, New Westminster)
- Seeking Safety Support Groups – A ten-week support group program in partnership with the Turning Point Recovery Society that runs for ten weeks, three times per year (90 groups total per year). (Vancouver, Richmond, New Westminster.
- Youth Centre Counsellor – Counselling for youth at the New Westminster Youth Centre. (New Westminster)
There are no fees (or sliding scale fees) for these programs. Some require a referral from a social worker at the Ministry of Children and Family Development or from Victim Services worker.
To find out more about these programs and how to access them, please contact our Client Care Coordinator.